Hemet Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Skilled Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Serving Those in Hemet, Ca
The National Safety Council reported in 2017 that motorcyclists account for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities. This is considerably high considering the fact that motorcycles only make up 3% of registered vehicles.
As a motorcyclist, riding gives you a sense of freedom. In fact, you’re not just riding, you’re flying. However, when a rider gets into an accident, they don’t have the advantages of other automobile safety features. There’s no steel frame or airbags.
What’s even worse is that insurance companies tend to stereotype bikers as being reckless. But even if you have years of riding experience and obey all traffic laws, accidents can still happen. Because motorcycles and cars share the road, there is always a possibility of a car accident happening as well.
If you or someone you know was hurt in a motorcycle accident in Hemet, an experienced Hemet motorcycle accident lawyer can help.
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 80 percent of motorcycle accidents end in injury or death. Because there’s very little protection for motorcyclists, their injuries in the event of an accident can be quite serious. Some of the more common injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash include:
- Head injuries: This may be in form of a concussion, cracked skull, an epidural hematoma, or other brain injuries. Although concussions can be mild or severe, brain injuries and cracked skulls tend to be very serious and can be fatal.
- Spinal cord injuries: A spinal cord injury can lead to paralysis (quadriplegia or paraplegia). This kind of injury usually results in permanent disability for the victim.
- Facial fractures: Suffering fractures in the face may lead to disfigurement. This in turn creates the need for reconstructive surgery.
- Broken bones: Motorcycles tend to topple over in the event of an accident. As such, the rider may be thrown to the pavement or stuck under the bike. This may result in broken legs, arms, wrists, feet, or hips. Broken bones may in turn cause permanent nerve damage or disability.
- Internal injuries: A rider may suffer internal bleeding or damage to internal organs. This may be as a result of penetrating trauma or blunt force trauma.
- Road rash: When a rider’s skin touches the road surface during a crash, it may cause serious skin abrasions. This is called a road rash. Although some regard it as a minor injury, it can be severe. It can cause permanent scarring or a serious infection.
Leading Reasons for Motorcycle Crashes
Motorcycle accidents can occur for a plethora of reasons. Some outside the control of the rider. However, most accidents are avoidable by simply following traffic rules. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Alcohol and drugs
- Improper or unsafe lane changes
- Dangerous road conditions
- Lane splitting
- Open car doors
- Inexperienced riders
- Motorcycle defects
Reduce the Risk of a Motorcycle Accident
Already, riding a motorcycle puts you at high risk of getting into a crash. Even the smallest obstacles like cracks, leaves, and wet pavements can land you in the hospital. However, some of these tips can reduce that risk.
- Don’t ride between active traffic and parked cars
- Don’t share a lane with another car
- Perform regular maintenance
- Look behind you when you stop at intersections
- Never drink and drive
Contact an Experienced Hemet Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Here at Banner Attorneys, we understand how life-altering it is when you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident. And it’s not just about the physical injuries. Your emotional health and finances can also suffer as a result of the accident. There are medical bills and even possibly lost wages. You deserve compensation for all these.
We know that insurance companies may try to blame the accident on you. However, we’re not intimidated by them. We’re ready to fight aggressively to make sure that you get the compensation you deserve. Contact an experienced Hemet motorcycle accident attorney today.